Monday, June 02, 2008

Shiny...

Here's a day's worth of detailing the car. I think its fabulous, though not as bright as it could be as the shine is somewhat blunted due to the orange-peel as mentioned below. Compounding, compounding... later lah, huh...

5 hours worth of work!

No lah, it's not a solid 5 hours working on it. If so I would have passed out from exhaustion a long time ago... A lot of the time was spent waiting for the stuff to cure, inspecting, touching up, etc.
I had initially wanted a professional full detailing job, and even went so far as to go seek out a very reputable detailer for a quote, but ultimately balked at the RM500+ price. Not that it wasn't reasonable; it was, as the job covered both exterior and interior detailing, including the very labour intensive compounding to sort out the orange-peel effect which almost all new cars have.

Went home, took a good look at the paint. Conclusion - it was practically brand new, and decided I could live with the orange-peel, and save the whole compounding she-bang for a few years down the line. Under these circumstances I figured I could do as good a job as any pro-detailer; I had quite a bit of kit, had the basic skills, and most importantly I really care! (my own car mah...) So for now, all I wanted was protection for the paint, and to clean up the interior. Not that it was grubby or anything close, just that despite the previous owner's meticulous care, the beige leather had already become slightly stained in some places. Also, aesthetics aside, I just didn't fancy sitting on top of someone else's stains!

So last month Saturday 17th was D(etailing)-day! I got down and dirty! Washed the car thoroughly, clayed it, dried it, used my favourite arsenal of Autoglym's Super Resin Polish and topped up with Extra Gloss Protection, and voila! Superb! Paint was even better than when it came out of the factory, smooth and shiny! Now to make sure it stays that way...

Took the whole morning and a bit of the evening. Was so tired out at the end of it all! But well worth it. Now to do the interior, and will most likely go Meguiars for this. Look at my detailing posts for more.

No comments: