Monday, May 19, 2008

Bye Bye Car, Hello Car...

Finally got hold of our car last week (Friday night to be precise). Concurrently, sold off my car that had served us well for 1 1/2 years. Remarkably good condition if I may say so. Barely 40k kms, just out of warranty. Sold it to a friend, so we'll still see it quite regularly. Did a detailed review of it in another post here.

As for the new car, was a bit intimidated by its size at first, but turns out I needn't have worried as it was a breeze to drive. Insulation and built was as expected, top notch. Engine (1AZ-FE making 108kW) wasn't bad either as I thought it'd be wheezy with all the weight to haul around. True, could do with more power and a tad more refinement, but overall more than acceptable, helped in large part by the dollops of low-end torque.

Update 1: Okay, I take back what I said about the refinement, after the service it was like a new engine! Must be due to the run-in and the changing out of the old mineral oil.

Update 2: On our first outstation trips, it proved to be comfortable, quiet and frugal (doing over 14km/L), with none of the wallowing feeling of its predecessor.

Update 3: I rented a Camry Altise (2.4l 2AZ-FE making 117kW) when I was in Australia in November. This is basically the American Camry body with the local Camry 2.4l engine. Surprisingly I didn't feel there was much difference to my car in terms of acceleration, except in the upper reaches of the speedometer. Makes me kinda glad I didn't shell out another 20 grand more...

No comments: