Saturday, December 22, 2007

Le Francais, One Bangsar...

Got back from Shanghai late yesterday night, in time for our anniversary! Took Friday off as I wanted a bit of rest after the trip. But somehow, felt like I might as well have gone to work as the day just flew by, and visions of a long restful day went poof...

Spent a good part of the day thinking where to go for our anniversary dinner. Wife as usual heaped this burden on me... After much deliberation settled on Mexican food at Sandias in Plaza Damansara. And whaddaya know, when we got there it looked like it was closed. For good! Chap-lap already! If anyone knows otherwise lemme know...

Okay, no problem, just hop to Mango Tree in nearby Bangsar... I've been there quite a few years back and remembered the food as being quite good. Also remembered the location, or so I thought... When we arrived the sign said Cafe Citron?! What the...!!! Yes, it definitely was the Mango Tree place. Why, the bloody tree was still there! So I'd assume chap-lap also... Until someone tells me otherwise...

In a state of near panic now (and near-rumbling tummy) I suggested to wifey to go get something at the nearby One Bangsar restaurant strip.

To cut a long story short, we ended up at Le Francais. Place looked a tad dim (aren't all fine dining places...) and attractive. We particularly liked the velvet drapes separating the tables which afforded diners some privacy (aesthetically if not sonically...).

We ordered duck salad and cream of garlic soup (yes, you read right, garlic) to start with, mains of swordfish and chicken, and no dessert. I suggested dessert at Delicious at Bangsar Village as I was craving bread & butter pudding. In case I haven't mentioned it, I love that stuff!


Things got off to a good start with the bread basket. Bread was warm, crisp outside and moist and soft inside. Butter was smooth and fragrant. In case you think I am being particularly obsessive, I'll say that the number of times I've been served bad bread is more than I care to recall. It was so good (and I was so hungry) that we finished the basket. (4 rolls only la...)

The duck salad was quite good, with a decent amount of iceberg, butterhead, romaines and rocket. The duck slices were very good, not too chewy yet flavorful and a tad gamey. Soup was quite a surprise, and did not really reek of garlic as expected. It was creamy and smooth with the occasional small bits of garlic. All in not too bad although a bit on the salty side.

The chicken my wife ordered was quite outstanding. Wasn't overcooked to the point of toughness (very easy to fall prey to with chicken breasts) and tasty with a hint of the marinade. The sundried tomato sauce was really nice and went well with the pan-fried chicken.

The swordfish was another story due to the chef's over-enthusiastic use of salt! I cannot remember what exactly it was called, though I can tell you that it was basically a rather large piece of swordfish that was poached in a broth with vegetables. Sadly the broth masked most of the flavour, and it certainly did look like the chef had served me the court-bouillon with the fish! Not good!

I did complain about the fish, and was actually told that was how it was supposed to be. Sorry mates, but you guys don't really seem to know a lot about cooking as i am certain no school of cooking would demand covering everything with the taste of salt! It was a good thing the rest of the food was alright, otherwise I would have made a bigger fuss.

Stick with the less exotic dishes and you should be alright.

The service was rather good, with little of the pretentiousness or haughtiness that seems to plague French restaurants. It was very attentive but unobstrutive. Paid something like a little less than 200 for the whole night, so other than the swordfish, not too bad.

No comments: